Wendens Ambo, Saffron Walden
Main DescriptionOPEN HOUSE SATURDAY 22ND JUNE 10AM-4PM. CALL TO REGISTER YOUR INTEREST. A truly stunning sixteenth century, Grade II Listed Mill House requiring modernisation set within 10 acres of land including woodland, paddocks and part of the River Cam.
The Old Mill House is a traditional double fronted red brick property set over three floors in need of extensive improvement and extension, surrounded by mature woodland with the River Cam meandering through the grounds creating an outstanding and tranquil location, within walking distance to the mainline railway station of Audley End. The house is tucked away at the end of a quiet lane lined with 18th century cottages, a handful of detached houses and greenery, with gated access to the house. The property has planning permission granted to extend the house at ground floor level to create more bedroom and living accommodation (UTT/19/0720/LB).
In detail, the accommodation which requires extensive modernisation extends to approx. 2292 sq ft and comprises a small entrance hall leading in from the South facing front of the property with stairs leading to the first floor. Doors open to the dual aspect sitting room with exposed beams, original flooring and open inglenook fireplace and to the other side of the hallway a dining room, again with dual aspect sash windows, original flooring and feature fireplace. Steps lead down to the kitchen fitted with a range of base level units and Aga with a large window to the rear of the property and incorporates a large pantry and breakfast area. The space has original tiled flooring which continues through to the rear hallway/boot room and downstairs shower room. The shower room is fitted with wc, wash hand basin and fully tiled shower enclosure.
To the first floor are four double bedrooms, all with original floorboards and sash windows accessed from a spacious landing with large double airing cupboard and built in book casing. The bathroom is to the rear of the property fitted with a panelled bath and wash hand basin with a separate wc next door. To the second floor are two double bedrooms with dormer windows to the front and restricted head room.
To the rear of the property is a detached timber framed building incorporating a garage and a number of store rooms/stables, with a further detached open sided barn, both in need of repair. Access to the rear land can be gained via 2 five bar gates where you will find a tennis court needing work, paddock, woodland and part of the River Cam. In total, the land extends to approx. 10 acres with the house sitting in a relatively central location.
The Old Mill House has been granted planning permission to extend the property at the ground floor level. The proposed plan incorporates two wing style extensions to the West and East side and will connect directly to the landscaped walled garden that they enclose. The space would include a large two-level living space to one side and a bedroom, ensuite, cloakroom and secondary hallway/boot room to the other. Glazed screens will enable these areas to spill out into the garden while the flint enclosing walls on the west and east will maintain the local vernacular language of house and walled garden. The full proposed planning consents can be seen via the Uttlesford District Council website with the planning reference: UTT/19/0719/HHF.
The existing house is the remnant of a much larger former development with a water mill at the east side which connected to the River Cam. There was a wing that ran perpendicular to the house (parallel with the river) and another that was located on the west side adjacent to a track leading to the fields beyond. Milling had moved to a new steam-powered building near the station in 1896 and by 1940 the Old Mill had fallen into disrepair and was taken down in 1940 leaving the residential portion.
A row of timber-framed outbuildings with steeply pitched roofs are located to the north of the house and is probable that they were once thatched. All evidence of the mill has been lost.
To the west of The Old Mill House is a detached barn, stables and piggery which has planning permission (UTT/19/0717/LB) and UTT/19/0716/FUL to convert into a five bedroom residential dwelling with detached garage and annexe sitting in a plot of approximately 2 acres. This plot is also on the market with Arkwright and Co and can be viewed upon request.
RIGHT OF WAY
The Mill House will retain a pedestrian right of way along the southern boundary of the Barn to provide access to the B1383 road.
Viewing is highly recommended and is strictly by appointment only. Please contact Arkwright and Co on 01799 668600.